Popular disc jockey Joe Mfalme, real name Joseph Mwenda, has broken silence after his arrest over the death of a senior Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) officer after an assault incident in Kiambu County.


Mwenda alongside his bouncer, driver and photographer allegedly attacked Kabete Police Station Deputy DCIO Felix Kelian on March 16 in Kikuyu market.


The DJ was arrested over the weekend alongside three police officers based at the Kikuyu Police Station.


Through a statement on Sunday, Mwenda said he and his team had been collaborating with investigative agencies since the incident they termed as regrettable.

“We express our deepest sympathies to the family, friends, and all those impacted by this unfortunate incident. DJ Joe Mfalme and his team have been in close collaboration with the investigative agencies since the occurrence of the incident,” read the statement posted on social media.

Mwenda said they will cooperate as required, adding that they trust in God and authorities general to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation to “uncover the truth”.

“Given the ongoing investigations and the sensitive nature of the matter, we shall refrain from making any further statements at this time,” the deejay, who is presently detained at the Kabete Police Station, added.

Reports indicate that Mwenda, his bouncer, driver, photographer and a lady were driving home at around 4 am after performing at the Kikuyu club that fateful Saturday.

Police say a “non-injury traffic accident” involving inspector Felix Kelian and the DJ’s vehicle at the club’s parking lot sparked an altercation.

The officer had reportedly hit the DJ’s car from the rear but before the case was solved by traffic officers from Kikuyu Police Station, the DJ and his crew reportedly attacked Kelian.

It is alleged that the three officers arrived at the scene, arrested Kelian and took him to Kikuyu Police Station, where Mwenda and his team joined the but were later allowed to leave without recording a statement.

The DCI officer was left complaining of abdominal pain and was first rushed to the Langata Hospital before being referred to Nairobi West Hospital where he died on Friday.

A medical report indicates Kelian suffered injuries to his urine bladder and that at the time of arrival at the hospital, he was unable to pass urine for around four hours.

It indicates blunt abdominal trauma as the immediate cause of death.
The three police officers who were arrested alongside Mwenda include Khadija Abdi Wako, Sammy Rotich Cherono and Agnes Kerubo Mugo.

They are among six suspects arrested in connection with the incident as police pursue more suspects including a woman who was reportedly at the scene.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *